Post Event commentary from the As I Was Saying blog:
- 2018 Battle–3-9-18: BEGINNER MIDDLE, SHORT RACES
- 018 Battle in Seattle: Time Trials, Opens
- 2018 Battle, RELAYS
- 2018, 31st Annual Battle in Seattle, 3-10-18 (Day Two) Elite Middle, Short
- 2018 Battle in Seattle–Grand Champions, Two-Mixed, Three-Mixed
- 2018 Battle Day 3, Long Finals (Elite)
- 2018 Battle in Seattle, Afterthoughts
Welcome to the 2018 Battle In Seattle at Pattisons’s West Skating Center in Federal Way, WA. Thank you for your continued support of the Battle in Seattle, an event that has spanned three decades and continues to be one of the premier indoor events in the USA. The Pattison family is always thankful for the nationwide support we have received and continue to receive. We are looking forward to another epic year of racing!!
— The Pattison Family
Past participants include:
Men: Joey Mantia, Michael Cheek, Justin Stelly, Jarrett Paul, Michael Ringer, Brandon Hall, Donovan Sellers, Tanner Worley, Caleb Wakefield, Zac Sagiao, Wesley Gandy, Cooper McLeod, KC Boutiette, Sabian Tinson
Women: Erin Jackson, Franchesca Bell, Kelsey Helman, Corie Stoddard, Mariah Richardson, McKenzie Browne, Chelsea LeGault, Melissa Perry
Race Results and Commentary from the As I Was Saying Blog
March 9-11, 2018 at Pattisons West Skating Center in Federal Way, WA, home of Pattison’s Team Xtreme. Sunday morning is daylight saving time (DST). We will adjust the schedule accordingly to compensate for the lost hour of sleep.
Thursday, March 8th, 6:00pm – 8:00pm
90’ x 180’ Maple rotunda with fresh WP8 plastic. 8 skaters may be run on the starting line. Widely considered “Fastest floor in the nation.” Fastest official Lap time recorded is 8.28 seconds. We will clean the track regularly throughout the competition to ensure optimal skating conditions.
Entries must be postmarked by Friday, February 23rd, 2018. Make one check payable to Pattison’s West. Please use our sign-up spreadsheet and relays forms. Electronic format available (XLS).
On I-5 take exit 142B. Turn right at Denny’s restaurant. Go 3/10 of a mile, rink is on your left side. Light grey building with a blue strip around the top.
Host Hotel Sponsor
A block of rooms has been reserved at the Hampton Inn for March 8, 2018 – March 11, 2018. The special room rate will be available until February 19th or until the group block is sold-out, whichever comes first.
Normal Rate: $199
Discounted Rate: $119/Night
Group Name: Battle in Seattle
Group Code: BIS
To register at this discounted rate, register at THIS LINK
Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle/Federal Way
31720 Gateway Center Blvd S
Federal Way WA 98003
– RACE INFORMATION –
Events and Rates
- $35 First Even, $15 Each Additional Event
- Pro Division: $50
- Spectators: FREE
- Vendor Booths available for $200
- Premium medals for podium finishers
- All Elite Divisions (No Grand)
- Novice Divisions (Juvenile-Esquire)
- 2 Person and 2 Mix Relays: $15 (Primary, Elementry, Sophomore, Senior, Classic, Master, Veteran)
- 3 Person Relays: $10 (3 any-person for Juvenile, 3 Mix and 3 Person for Freshman, Senior, and Master)
- 4 person Relays: $15 (4 Mix Only)
- 4 person Draw Relays: $10
- Opens: $10
- Time Trial: $10
- 6 Grand Champion Races
- In Novice and Elite divisions, all 3 distance races will be run
- Events with 3 or fewer entries may be run with other events
- The Long distance race will be an automatic final and will be a rolling start if there are more than 8 skaters. Start position will be determined by order of points with the skater with the highest total in first and so on. Skaters without points will draw cards to determine starting position before the race
- Only skaters who have skated for fewer than 3 years are eligible to skate in novice events
- Heat distance could be shortened to save time
- Events with 3 or fewer entries may be run with other events
- Only out-of-region skaters may cross team with other out-of-region competitors for relays
4 Person Draw Relays
- Random draw for skaters from all teams who sign up
- Juvenile and under
- Elementary and Freshman
- Sophomore, Junior, Senior, and Classic
- Masters and above
*Coaches, please use your discretion when determining a skater’s ability to do the 4 person draw relay. This is for the safety of all teams.
- Juvenile and below: 10 Laps
- Elementary and Freshman: 15 Laps
- Sophomore, Junior, Senior, Classic: 30 Laps
- Grand Classic and above (at least 30 years old): 20 Laps
*Skaters will draw cards to determine position. Prize money to be awarded, determined by the number of participants.
- “Fastest Girl/Man on Skates!”
- Rolling start 100m,on what is regarded as one of, if not the”fastest floor in the nation.”
- Prize money determined by number of participants
- Track record 8.28 sec.
– GRAND CHAMPION EVENTS –
Junior Grand Champion
First, second, and third from Elite Freshman and below qualify for the 10 laps race. All 3 placements will receive a premium podium metal. Winner receives top of the line Vie13 Grand Champion Battle in Seattle skin suit and a $100 cash prize.
First, second, and third from Elite Sophomore through Senior, qualify for the 15 lap race. All 3 placements will receive a premium podium metal. Winner receives top of the line Vie13 Grand Champion Battle in Seattle skin suit and a $100 cash prize.
Senior Grand Champion
First, second, and third from Elite Classic and above qualify for the 10 laps race. $100 to the winner. All 3 placements will also will receive a premium podium metal. Winner receives top of the line Vie13 Grand Champion Battle in Seattle skin suit and a $100 cash prize.
– PRO EVENTS –
Pro Woman and Mens Division
- Sophomore and up
- 1500m ,500m ,3000m
- Roundtrip (Standby tickets with Restrictions) to anywhere Southwest Airlines flies to men’s and women’s pro champions
- Large CA$H prize to be awarded to men’s and women’s pro champions
- $1,000 1st, $300 2nd, $100 3rd for me’n and women’s champions
- Custom Vie13 Grand Champion Battle in Seattle skin suit
- !!!SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT !!! Winners will receive an automatic bid to NSC 2018 season. If winner has already qualified then it is awarded to 2nd place, and so on. More details HERE.
– OTHER INFORMATION –
Meet Director: Shaun Pattison
Announcer: Ross Creveling
Head Referee: Brandon Hardaway
Referees: Mike Wong, Kim Eger, Bryan Howell, Jeremy Howard, Bryan Hayes
Tabulator: Robin Olson
Placement judges – Tammy Murray and Robin Olson
Placement Results Coordinator: Rachel Pfander
Results Publisher: Teri Howell
Check-in Stewards – Cathy Ream and Tara Wedlund
Event Coordinators: Mike and Darin Pattison
Schedule and Program: Robin Olson
Pattison’s West and Team Xtreme would like to thank all our sponsors. Please come and visit them at the Battle in Seattle.